“Change happens through movement and the movement heals”
Joseph H. Pilates
According to the breast cancer facts & figures of 2017-2018 – women who get regular physical activity have a 10%-20% lower risk of developing breast cancer compared to women who are inactive.
A greater reduction in risk is associated with increasing amounts of exercise and more vigorous activity; however, even smaller amounts of exercise, including walking appear beneficial.
An American Cancer Society study that included more than 73,000 postmenopausal women found that breast cancer risk was 14% lower among women who reported walking 7 or more hours per week to women who walk 3 or less hours per week. The benefit may be due to the effects of physical activity on systemic inflammation, hormones and energy balance.
This is why Pilates community is joining many campaigns to promote movement as a therapy.
We already know that movement heals and keep our minds and body healthy. But…let’s talk about other very important aspect- the check!!!
When did you last time check out your breast or had a scan?
We are all very busy with work and looking after our families. Very often we are forgetting about ourselves. But checking out it takes just a few moments and it’s simple as TLC.
- Can you feel a lump? Either in the breast, upper chest or armpits.
- Is there a lumpy area? Or unusual thickening of the breast tissue that doesn’t go away?
- Is there any unusual pain? Either in part of breast or the armpit.
- Any change in size or shape? e.g. one breast might become larger or lower than the other.
- Any change in skin texture? Such as puckering or dimpling of the skin of the breast.
- Any change in colour? e.g. the breast might look red or inflamed.
- What about the appearance or direction of nipples? E.g. one might become inverted (turn in) when normally points out.
- Any unusual discharge? One or both nipples might have a discharge.
- Any rash or crusting? Of the nipple or surrounding area.
- Is anything unusual? If so, get it checked out by your doctor as soon as possible.
Love your breast. Be breast aware and share this with your friends!
Wear Pink is a worldwide annual campaign taking place in October, involving thousands of organisations, to highlight the importance of breast cancer awareness, education and research.
This year Equitness teamed up with Breast Cancer Now. We Wear Pink and we organised ‘Pie and Lattes Morning’. With the incredible help from many people involved in organising this coffee morning we managed to raise an awareness and funds to help with their life-saving research and life-changing support.
We also created a Pilates Calendar with a fantastic help from the best Pilates teachers from all over the world.
For every sold calendar we will donate 50% of the purchase price to Breast Cancer Now. We did set up ourselves a target of £5000 to be donated so please help us to achieve it.
In a return you will receive a high-quality print, 12 months, A3 size wall calendar with beautiful Pilates poses. All easy explained and set in breathtaking sceneries.
Calendar available at https://shopilates.co.uk/collections/pilates-calendar